Sunday, June 15, 2014

Blinc and You'll Miss It: Blinc Liquid Eyeliner Pen in Noir Black Review

I am quite picky about eyeliner and always looking for something that won't smudge.  I have oily, hooded eyelids, so that's no easy feat.

I actually had the same meh experience as Renee with Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner (funnily enough, I also tried the Cobalt).

For ultimate staying power, liquid eyeliners work best.  Most recently, I've been impressed with two eyeliner pens by Blinc: the Liquid Eyeliner Pen and the Ultrathin Liquid Eyeliner Pen.  I think both use the same formula: deep jet black, dries slightly shiny, comes off in flakes with water and gentle pressure or regular eye makeup remover, and--yes!--smudgeproof.

Blinc Liquid Eyeliner Pen in Noir Black
 

Blinc is well known for its tubing mascara that only comes off with water and gentle pressure--meaning it's waterproof and oilproof--and it has applied its technology well to eyeliners.  The mascara is actually terrific if you don't need to hold a curl.  It's the only mascara that I can wear alone without smudging (no waterproofing topcoat needed).

I tried Blinc's original (non-pen) eyeliner many years ago and loved the formula but hated the floppy, imprecise brush.  So I had high hopes when I saw the pen versions.  They did not disappoint.  No smudging or fading even after a very hot day by the pool.  After a sweaty, humid spin class, there was some fading on the outer edge of one eye but no smudging and no transfer to under the eye.  And no raccoon eyes even after I fell asleep in my makeup one night (oops).

The key differences between the two pen versions are that the Liquid Eyeliner Pen has a felt tip whereas the Ultrathin version has a brush tip.
Thin line
I prefer brush tips for precision, but the felt tip here can actually draw fine lines and sharp edges.  (The looks in this post were all done with the felt tip.)  The Ultrathin was actually too thin for my tastes.  At 0.00876mm, the brush is purportedly the thinnest in the world.  The thinness means it takes extra time to build up the shape when I'm trying to do a winged look or make it thick enough to be visible with my eyes open.  It's great if you like an ultrathin, ultra natural line.
Medium thick wing

My reservations about these are how long they will last.  I tossed the Ultrathin one after 1-2 months because the brush tip started to splay (something that does not happen with the eyeliner pen I've used for years, the Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum).  I've only been using the regular Liquid Eyeliner Pen for 3 weeks, but after the first week, part of the felt tip frayed and I had to snip the excess.  It's been fine since, but I'm still wary of how long this one will last.  

Overall, if the felt tip holds up, the Blinc Liquid Eyeliner Pen is one of the best eyeliners I've tried.

Thick wing
Thick wing turns into "why do you have lines on just the outside of your eyes?"

No comments:

Post a Comment